Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Fine Line

In the movies, it's not uncommon to see someone, out of nowhere, say things that change the main character's life. Of course, we all look at those things as romantic, but were they to happen in real life, we'd simply scoff at the weirdo that said it, and instantly forget about the encounter.

Naturally, there's a reason for this. A customer comes into the station the other day, and I handle him in the normal fashion, and after giving him his change he proceeds to tell me that I am a terrific person, and that as long as I stay the same person, I will be a great contributor to society. Half-stunned, I simply said thank you, and he left, and I began to ponder the encounter in the way that I do.

Was this guy simply weird? Was this guy someone who was just genuinely appreciative of my sterling customer service skills? Was this guy some prophet? Did he think he was going to change my life? As far as I know, I don't remember this guy ever having come into the station before, so it's not like it's someone who's seen me on a regular basis. Why couldn't this guy have been the cute blonde that only comes in once a week?

Rather than just forget about the whole experience, as I usually do with the occasional weirdo, I've taken to analyzing it. I really haven't come up with anything, but hey, it's nice to know that if I work at a gas station for the next 10 or so years, I will provide a great contribution to society...

4 Comments:

Blogger Shocho said...

I think that God walks the Earth from time to time as a regular person, helping to change people's lives in a positive way with simple encouragement.

But that probably wasn't him. I saw God at the Food Lion yesterday, and he told me he hadn't been in St. Louis for three weeks.

;)

4:30 AM  
Blogger Shocho said...

Contributions to society happen in all kinds of ways. This is what pisses me off about all the jingoistic crap here in the Hampton Roads area. Yeah, give the servicemen a discount on furniture, sure. The rest of us are pigs who don't contribute to society. Everybody contributes. The butterfly effect says that somebody who buys gas at your station makes it to a job interview that leads to him curing cancer. Hey, it could happen.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I thought God just walked the Earth to play skee-ball in Jersey?

In any case, I'd check your apartment for surveillance devices.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Kindralas said...

Oh my god, I DON'T HAVE AN APARTMENT!!!

*leaps out a window screaming "I regret nothing"*

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home